Friday, March 21, 2014

In The Spotlight 

After a hasty setup, my audience entered the room and I, on my stage, prepared for my performance. I was careful not to break into a smile but my face twitched as it sometimes does. When the room seemed tense and suspenseful I struck my stance and raised my hands. The noise begun as i tried as furiously as I could to “jazz” my hands. The audience began to giggle and the absurdity was not lost on them, my satire had worked. My theatrical setting and action was intended to draw parallels between theater and performance art. The idea stemmed from Sandy Dias saying “performance art is not theater, it is not rehearsed” but I thought of how I could make it like theater. A stage, an audience, and most importantly jazz hands. The lowering of my arms as I jazzed was intended to lead to and cause the big finish, the gauntlets falling when they would, and me bowing as is customary at the end of show. This show was satire, referential to the very thing I was told performance art was not. That was my intention and I feel that got across.

4 comments:

  1. i really enjoyed this performance elliot. simple and funny, just as i like it. it was well set up and thought out. this kind of preparation is really what makes a simple piece, everything was damn near perfect. i don't know how to expand on such a performance but i would love to see you try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the contrast between the pomp and seriousness of the beginning and the silliness of the jazz hands. It would be cool with a whole suit of armor where you'd spend forever putting it on in a grandiose way only to get up, turn on some bubbly pop music, and wiggle around like an idiot. Maybe you could try to hula hoop, too. The sounds of the armor clanking alone would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pop music and a hula hoop! Now we are talking!

      Delete
  3. I thought that the gauntlets were supposed to be noisemakers. Then you looked like you were getting tired, so I thought the piece was supposed to be about exhaustion. Were you getting tired? I forgot to ask. The way you were clenching your hands at the end looked like you couldn't summon the energy to shake them anymore.

    ReplyDelete